Monday, October 3, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of




Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat. My sincerest non-apology for the essays this week, I'm deep into my studies on Media Theories, Audience & Influences because no! Media Studies is not all about making podcasts, interviewing people and producing a short film. It's also about analysing what media is on a whole, questioning the social construction of life itself & discovering a whole bunch of words you can't even begin to spell aloud. Fun!!



So to kick off the week, another song from Tegan & Sara. I've said it before but every time I come across another track from them it bears repeating; giving them a listen is one of the best musical decisions I've made this year. Doesn't matter if it's a ballad or pop anthem, their music is just full of so much energy it's impossible not to like them. The video doesn't seem to have a story to it which is a minor letdown, but lyricall and musically this song is solid. Their album 'Love You To Death' is out now



By now you may know I'm a big fan of The Naked And Famous fan. You may also know that I cannot wait for theirs & OneRepublic's albums to be released. Every time I get a notification that they've got another album promo song up I get very excited & I am never dissapointed. Where The Naked And Famous are concerned, like Tegan And Sara, their songs have so much energy in them. The lyrics never dissapoint me, the lyric videos are beautiful and the music is just stunning. 'Simple Forms' is out on October 14th & I absolutely cannot wait; it's a very good month for music.



I have at last found a Karmin song I can stand. This is a monumental achievement! I don't mean that in a bad way, but I am not a fan of songs being overplayed. That's exactly what happened when 'Brokenhearted' took over the airways in 2012; whilst others at CONTROLRadioUK HQ loved it I couldn't stand it (and it really seems like a longer period in time than that). Since then I've heard various songs by Karmin & whilst I've thought they sounded ok, they weren't powerful enough for me - I was either let down by the chorus or just didn't feel the song went anywhere. I've kept listening to them every now and again though, and finally! We have a song here I can not only stand to listen to, but I actually enjoy it! I can connect with the story the lyrics I telling, i love the chorus & the climax of the song, and the videos cute enough. Karmin are an American music duo & their new album 'Leo Rising' is out now.




Ok this videos weird as hell. I have no idea what's going on with it & attempting to watch it through gave me a headache. I like the music and the lyrics are ok but when you have a dance band/duo featuring a vocalist on their song, it lives and dies with the vocalist; if they're strong it's a smashing success & if they're weak well the whole song falls apart. With this here Susanne Sundfør is what makes the song. Similar to The Chainsmokers who earlier this year released 'Don't Let Me Down' which featured Daya; it was a smash because of her & whilst follow-up's have been ok, they haven't quite hit that same level. This song's somewhat of a throwback to the 80's, which I'm not exactly hating either & this will be glued to my phone for the next few months at the very least. Röyksopp are a Norwegian electronic music duo & Susanne is a Norwegian singer/songwriter.



This songs chorus is catchy as hell, but it's featuring here because of the video. I challenge anyone to watch this video and not find Ken Leong hilarious. I've never even watched his show 'Dr Ken', but this video's tempted me to. Where the song's concerned I'm again loving the music here. Lyrically the songs a little simple but given Laura's age I'll forgive that, especially since the chorus is so damn catchy! Like seriously it makes the whole song really infectious & I can't stop replaying it. But I'm mostly here for Ken. Without him I don't think the song/video would pull me in as much as it does. That's right people! It's not just the music & lyrical content of a song that sells it to the audience, but how it's presented. Sometimes serious, thought provoking videos work. Sometimes one with a story. Sometimes one that has nothing to do with the song but is really pretty to look at. And sometimes a really funny person, with the singer not appearing at all does it for you. Laura Marano is an American actress and singer/songwriter

0 comments:

Post a Comment