Monday, October 17, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of




Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so check out our picks below.



Yes this is here just so I have an excuse to talk about the album. Sorry Bastille, I've grown to like you but I've been a OneRepublic fan longer & Oh My MY has slayed me. Since I got it I've only taken brief breaks in listening to it because it is just so good. It's one of those where no matter how many times I've played it, I'm not bored of the songs & everytime it comes back around I find something new that I like about it. Top 3 tracks are 'Better', 'Oh My My' and 'A.I' but really they're all amazing. I love the music & the lyrics (especially 'Better' which has an alternative string version that is also fantastic) because there's always a story to them & I absolutely love watching these guys in live performances. They have so much energy about them that goes vibrates through the whole crowd & people at home, that you just can't help dancing and singing along with them. You may know OneRepublic (how could you not?!) and you may know Oh My My is available now. Album of the year, do your ears a favour and buy it.



I've featured Hayley here in the picks once or twice (ok it's more than that but whatever) because I appreciate what musicians like her do. Lyrically this song isn't the best, but music wise it's BAMF & it has an excellent video to accompany it. This shouldn't be a thing that I have to point out but it's rare (at least in the music videos I've watched which granted is limited to TV unless something online comes up interesting) to have a POC in a music video & not be a thug or end up dead. Even rarer? Having a transgender person. It just doesn't tend to happen unless the songs an uplifting anthem about loving ourselves & even then they only get a 5 second slot. Here we have a music video that's about a friendship created from coming to a person's aid during their time of need. No angsty love stuff/relationship drama/video with no story that takes you away from the song. Just two people having a bad night, one coming to the aid of the other & that's it. Simple and beautiful. Hayley Kiyoko's album CITRINE is out now & it is good.



Thing I've noticed about Walking On Cars? They give us fabulous music & beautiful videos which tend to be really sad. Ok that's not a thing I've noticed but rather a general comment from CONTROLRadioUK HQ but I do think my fellow colleagues have a point (even if they make comments about my musical taste in the process). Gorgeous scenery aside (which is really hard because it is so pretty) the videos got a powerful story to it which I won't spoil (aside from saying we were a bit emotional at the end), I love the music (inlcuding the backdrop in the chorus) & the lyrics are great if again, a little sad. Honestly since I got into Walking On Cars after hearing 'Chasing Cars' (still one of THE best songs I've ever heard with a great chorus again) they haven't dissapointed me. The album Everything This Way is out now.



I'm really into my ballad's this week. I'm gonna blame the fact I was virus ridden which has now translated to a cold. I'd never heard of Charlotte let alone one of her songs before so I wasn't sure what to expect, and now this song has been in my head for the last week. So I think it's safe to say I'm a fan (not like I don't have enough music queued on my media player). I'll be honest and say the song does more for me than the video which isn't a criticism; sometimes when you come across an honest the song & imagery click together & sometimes they don't. I can see the videos got a good concept to it, probably after a few more plays I'll understand it more. The lyrics are great and I love the backing vocals in the chorus which really add to the song (and are what kept me originally listening). Charlotte OC is a British Singer/Songwriter who has been quiet busy since 2008 and her second album is due out later this year.



Confession time; I usually don't like Youtubers/Viners/Whatever else you wanna call them. They're just not my thing & I can never understand how they're so popular. When this video came up I was expecting to hate it (I even said as it was buffering I was gonna hate it but played it just so everyone else could hate with me) Ended up coming away from this dancing along with the rest of CONTROLRadioUK HQ. This isn't the greatest song I've ever heard, in fact I'd probably catergorise it as just being ok. Lyrically it's not fantastic but given his age I'll let him off, the videos colourful and Trevor can certainly dance. I've said before here that as long as I can enjoy a song, it's doing its job & that's what Trevor's done here. It's certainly not as annoying as some songs I've heard so that's another + to him. Trevor Moran is an American Recording Artist/Singer/Youtube Personality and previous XFactor Contestant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment