Thursday, September 29, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Presents Throwback Thursday: Hello 95





Hello and welcome to the next Chapter in our Throwback Thursday series. We've travelled through 80's Pop/Rock/RnB/Reggae/Dance. Now we're having a stop-over in the 90's. It was a glorious 10 years for fashion, technology & of course music. Some songs changed the landscape of music forever whilst some were unfortunate one-hit wonders & for the next 5 weeks we'll be bringing you 5 great songs.



The Artist: Coolio ft LV
The Song: Gangsta's Paradise
Released: 1995

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This hit #1 on both the UK and US charts eventually going 2 times platinum in the UK and 3 times platinum in the US. That's quite a feat for a song to achieve, especially considering it came from the movie Dangerous Minds soundtrack. I'll confess I didn't come across this song until much later (but in defense this isn't the type of song a 5-9yr old kid would typically come across). What drew me to the song originally was the chorus. What later kept me coming back to the song was the story the lyrics are telling. It's still extremely relatable 21yrs later, whether that's a good or bad thing is down to the individual.





The Artist: Ace Of Base
The Song: Beautiful Life
Released: 1995

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Another Throwback Thursday entry for Ace Of Base, who I did warn would be featuring throughout our 90's special a lot. As much as I like them I don't think a song can be classed as a success reaching #15 on both the UK & US main charts, though it did hit #1 on the US Dance. I like the feel good factor to the song. Video isn't the best I've ever seen but it was the 90's, when we were only just getting to grips with the technology at our disposal, so I'll let them off.





The Artist: TLC
The Song: Waterfalls
Released: 1995

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
TLC was it when I was growing up. I wasn't so much into there music, but even I can agree this song is great. It reached #4 in the UK and #1 in the US which is pretty good. Lyrically and visually this song is perfect. It tackles issues such as illegal drug trade & HIV/AIDs & does a great job at covering these issues without being preachy. It's a song that is well known & still extremely popular even in today's music, which is quite something to achieve.





The Artist: Oasis
The Song: Wonderwall
Released: 1995

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
The song reached #2 on the UK Charts & #8 on Billboard before going on to be certified Gold in 3 Countries along with Platinum. This song is an absolute monster and it'd be musical sacrilege if I didn't include it here. From the moment the music starts, you know what's playing. You know when the vocals are gonna come in, and you're ready to sing along in your best booming voice. It's hard to sum up why this is one of Oasis's most popular song, and indeed one of the best songs ever made. I've heard the odd cover over the years, and whilst the song doesn't lose its magic, they just don't capture the emotion like Oasis do.





The Artist: The Rembrandts
The Song: I'll Be There For You
Released: 1995

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
How could I not include this song? It ruled the 90's as the 'Friends' opening theme. You know? One of the greatest comedy shows ever (that's not my opinion by the way but an actual fact). It topped the US Chart for 8 glorious weeks & #3 in the UK. I know most people's knowledge of the song begins & ends with 'Friends', but it's actually a pretty awesome feel good song. It's got some really powerful lyrics that go with a nice funky beat so it's not too overwhelming. The video's really fun as well with the 'Friends' cast featuring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment