Monday, November 21, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of




Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so heck out our picks below.



Have I mentioned how much I love Grouplove? Oh I haven't?! Well, like Dragonette I discovered them this year, and like Dragonette, they're one of my favourite new bands. I very much enjoy a good dance-a-thon to Grouplove because their songs have such positive energy to them it's impossible not to. The lyrics are quite good as well, not to repetitive, the video isn't the greatest I've ever seen but I won't be too harsh. Basically whenever I get a notification that a new song/video has come out my day is made, and the whole of CONTROLRadioUK HQ is dancing. I'm considering that a fine job done. Grouplove are an American Indie/Rock band and their new album 'Big Mess' is available to purchase/stream now. I can confirm it is excellent.



How do I be objective over this? I've liked The Veronica's on/off since my late teens & they make some fantastic under-rated music. This song here is another smash. The video & lyircs has an important story to them, and I do appreciate when Artists/Bands/TV Shows use their position to highlight issues in society. I've lost count of the amount of people who've found the strength to come out as a result of a character on TV doing the same, or realising they need help with addiction/substance abuse from viewing similar things. But I didn't find Ruby Rose a convincing actress in Orange Is The New Black, and that's not changed here. It might seem unfair singling her out with criticism here, and I do apologise for that. However if you're going to do a powerful story to your video that you hope helps others, you need it to be strong so people can look at it and think 'Damn this is me' or 'That's exactly like someone I know' & I don't get that here. It's only a small thing, but if I critic people for redundant song lyrics, music that goes nowhere & video's that take me right out of the song, then I have to critic the choice of people in the video. The Veronica's are an Australian duo and their album 'My Blood' is released in January.



I first heard this song a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't really feeling it. The song didn't seem like it was going anywhere and I didn't find the chorus particularly good. But when you give me a video that has pretty scenery? I will fall at my knees. It's another example of why videos are so important to music; yes making a great record is fine & dandy but if you don't have a visual to sell to those in doubt? Have fun cracking the top 40! I will say this still isn't the greatest thing I've ever heard as I think more could've been done with this lyrically, but it is not the worst thing I've heard this week & the chorus is now stuck in my head. Oh & MØ's solo music continues to be better than the collaboration's she's done with some high profile Artists. I thank it for being the type of bad you want to switch the channel over at but can't, because something intrigues you and that led to me checking out her solo records. MØ is a Danish singer/songwriter & I'm intrigued to see how her second album goes.



The rest of CONTROLRadioUK HQ hates this song, deeming it for some unknown reason depressing in sound, but I really like this. It has a minor sample on the guitar backdrop which I love & the whole sound of this song is so chill & relaxing. The lyrics are a little deep in places which I also like, the chorus is a banger and she's in a boat! On water! I. Love. Water. Being a mermaid is like #4 on my bucket list, so there's your interesting fact for the week! Considering the type of songs I'm forced to put here when I'm outvoted, I'm sure as heck gonna rebel against the system & feature something here I love even if no-one else does! MIYNT is a Swedish singer/songwriter & this song is off her 'EP no. 1' which you can buy/stream now.



Just when I was being swallowed up by all the fantastic pop/dance music that has met my ears recently & starting to forget all about rock, I came across this beauty. I love the subtle build at the beginning, the deep lyrics & how this monster comes at you in the chorus. It's rock perfection. As we're studying how scenes are built up in College right now with lighting/setting/direction, it's not escaping my attention how much this video focusses on light, which I'm guessing is symbolic to the songs message (quite the clever one I know). It's also interesting to me how this video does so much for the story of the song without really having a lot. They're also getting extra points for the desert intercutting and how beautiful the final scene with the young lady looks. Our Last Night are an American post-hardcore band (that's a new term for you) who are even lovely enough to include the lyrics for the song on the YT page so that's another point. They also have quite the back catalogue you can join me in listening to until next week, when I bring more wonderful music into your life. You're welcome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment