Thursday, September 15, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Presents Throwback Thursday: Hits Of 93





Hello and welcome to the next Chapter in our Throwback Thursday series. We've travelled through 80's Pop/Rock/RnB/Reggae/Dance. Now we're having a stop-over in the 90's. It was a glorious 10 years for fashion, technology & of course music. Some songs changed the landscape of music forever whilst some were unfortunate one-hit wonders & for the next 7 weeks we'll be bringing you 5 great songs.



The Artist: DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
The Song: Boom! Shake The Room
Released: 1993

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
The song hit #1 on the UK Chart & #13 in the US and went on to be certified Gold. It continues the 90's trending of mixing innuendo which is quite funny to look back on. It's probably not as well known as some of Will Smith's other songs, but I absolutely love it. As a kid, I enjoyed bouncing my head to the chorus and the song helped introduce me to Fresh Prince Of Bel Air which ran from 1990 to 1996.





The Artist: Proclaimers
The Song: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Released: 1993

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
How could I not include this song? It's their most popular song worldwide, synonymous with pop culture and an absolute classic. I came across this during Comic Relief of 2007 and loved it. The guitar at the beginning that runs throughout the song is great. Lyrically I don't think the song is that great, but when you have fantastic music & a chorus you can't help singing along with, what does it matter?





The Artist: Duran Duran
The Song: Ordinary World
Released: 1993

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This isn't one of Duran Duran's most popular songs, but it's my favorite and I can't believe I've gone so far in these TBT Special's without featuring them. It hit #6 on the UK chart and #3 on Billboard. I love everything about this song from the music to the lyrics and of course the vocals, it all gells so well together & so much of this song resonates with me.



The Artist: UB40
The Song: (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You
Released: 1993

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Another UB40 song here, this time a cover of Elvis Presley's classic. It hit #1 on both the UK and US Chart and it's easy to see why because this song is a hit. UB40 were a very popular band in my household growing up partially because of the Reggae sound, and also because they managed to make most of their songs despite lyrical content uplifting. You could sing along, lose yourself in their songs and the videos for the 80's and 90's were quite something to watch.





The Artist: East 17
The Song: It's Alright
Released: 1993

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Another band popular in my household as a kid, East 17 hit #1 in various parts of Europe & Australia for 7 weeks in a row. This was one of the first songs I heard that crossed genre, starting off as a ballad and transcending into a dance smash. East 17 made a lot of songs that I love but this stuck with me as lyrically I find it calming, whilst the chorus I can't stop dancing to. I love the guitar in the chorus and it's one of those songs that I do think has shaped the way music is today.


0 comments:

Post a Comment