Thursday, December 15, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Presents Throwback Thursday: Best of The Noughties





We've travelled through time & began our exploration into the best musical moments, so this week I wanted to take the opportunity to explore the Noughties. The 90's will always be dearly beloved to me but the Noughties is where I hit my musical stride. I had to get over the split of one of my favourite bands & found myself falling in love with rock music for the first time, along with coming across Artists who would turn out to be amongst my favourites going forward. So without any further ado, my favourite songs from the Noughties;



The Artist: Dannii Minogue
The Song: I Begin To Wonder

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Ok I've been pretty vocal on the fact Dannii Minogue & Samantha Fox were extremely popular in my house growing up. There wasn't a day that went by I didn't hear one of their songs, but 'I Begin To Wonder' was the first Dannii Minogue song I actually liked for myself. I wish I could find a higher quality version of this video to feature but I guess you can't have everything. For my little old 90's mind that grew up on terrible futuristic green screen videos, this video was definitely an improvement technology wise. I still love the music of this song to this day, and it's really not bad lyrically either.





The Artist: The Killers
The Song: Somebody Told Me

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This was the first rock song I ever loved, part of the first rock album I ever bought & basically began my transition from pure pop music into pop/rock/indie. Everything about this song is fantastic and 12 years later I still enjoy singing away to this song with all of my vocal strength (which considering my years of Theatre School is actually quite good). Did I like all of the music from The Killers after this? No. 'Sam's Town' actually goes down as one of the biggest disappointments of my musical collection; not to say the album's bad but not my cup of tea.





The Artist: Steps
The Song: Summer Of Love

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Ok by now you should know if I can ever squeeze in an opportunity to talk about Steps, I'm taking that opportunity. Boxing Day 2001 is still very much ingrained in my head. i was a very happy little girl until a phone call came in & all of a sudden the living room went quiet. My mum looked up teletext (that's right! we were still very old school in the early Noughties) and my eyes fell onto the headline that Steps had announced their split. 11 year old me was completely devastated for a good while after that. I wanted to throw out all my Steps stuff but my mum refused to let me, and had to deal with people at school rejoicing the fact they'd split whilst I fought the urge to cry. As you can probably gather, not the greatest time but along with 'Deeper Shade Of Blue' this is one of my favorite songs. Like 'I Begin To Wonder' was the first time I'd come across a decent technologic video, this was the first time I'd come across one which featured doubles of the band. I love the music, I love the lyrics, I love the dance routine even if I could do without my favorite band member being front & center at times (though I won't moan too much because they didn't have a solo on this song thank goodness). I've mentioned before my favorite Steps songs tend to be ones where Claire or H are on lead. This is a rare song of their's which was somewhat ensemble with Claire's power vocals in the chorus & I loved it.





The Artist: Snow Patrol
The Song: Run

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
Sometimes you come across a song that just clicks with you & you can't explain why; this is one of those songs. I came across this just after I'd started listening to The Killers & whilst 'Chasing Cars' is the song that made them a worldwide name, this is my favorite from Snow Patrol. So much so I have the instrumental version of this & I honestly can't say which is better. The video doesn't really have a story to it but is beautiful nonetheless, the lyrics are somewhat deep & probably resonate the most with me outside the break beat at the end of the song. That is my all time favorite bit & I curse whenever I come across a version of this song that has that cut because it's so beautiful & the way it leads so gently into the end of the song? No words.





The Artist: Ke$ha
The Song: Tik Tok

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This was a very difficult song for me to choose. I'm a massive fan of Kesha joining others in campaigning to bring attention to her situation, which I do find horrific & disgusting & I'm glad she has so much support. So in that sense putting any song from her back catalogue here is hard, but at the same time this article is choosing my favorite songs from the Noughties. This song was constantly on the radio when it was first released so you'd think it'd become a victim of my dear friend over exposed? Surprisingly not, even when I came across this video at least 5 times a day on the TV, but the song was addictive enough in the beat & lyrics not to annoy me. Yes! When I first heard this on the radio I thought she was black (not the first time that's happened either). The video's just a bowl full of fun & the lyrics aren't deep by any stretch, but they're also not beyond basic in terms of rhyming which is always a plus. Basically I'm a really big fan of Kesha & like many others look forward to the day when she's able to release new music. Until then I'll continue to listen to her old bops, but never forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment