Friday, May 10, 2019

Jimmy's Cousin Releases 'Astor & 8th' + Album Release Date





Irish born, schooled in New York, detouring into multiple careers across Europe, Jimmy’s Cousin is an overnight success that’s 30 years in the making. His first demo was recorded in 1991, his first album, Waxwings, sees the light of day in May 2019 and he has just announced his Irish tour taking place in March and April 2019.

Jimmy’s Cousin writes an ambitious, melodic, close to the bone and a very personal, blend of Vocal Jazz. His debut album is produced By Dave Keary whose guitar playing and musical direction with such acts as Van Morrison, Gregory Porter, Taj Mahal, Roger Daltrey and Bobby Womack, means that he brings a deep vein of musical pedigree to the arrangement and realisation of the songs of Jimmy’s’ Cousin.

Waxwings features some of the top musicians in the country from Paul Moore (Bass), James Delaney (Piano), Des Lacey (Drums), Michael Buckley (Brass) plus a host of others. The result is a close to bone and personal set of songs with an emotive and supportive soundscape.

Waxwings is the quintessential breakup album. If there’s five stages of grief, then they're all on show on this album, loss, heartbreak, anger acceptance, forgiveness, optimism. It's an album about reconciling the conflicting emotions within any relationship. Some of the songs are sad but even the sad ones have an acceptance and an optimism or humour at their heart which rescues them from being too maudlin and points the way forward.

Waxwings is an album about acceptance of the risks associated with truly loving someone. It's an album about the inevitability of loss, about flying into the darkness and touching the face of grief.

So where does than name Jimmy’s Cousin originate from?
“I was raised in a small provincial town and had an older brother named Paul. Everywhere I went I was Paul’s brother. I was following in his footsteps and had no identity of my own. Striking out for New York in the early 90’s I relished the thought of being my own person, with my own identity and moved initially, in with my American cousin Jimmy. He introduced me to all of his friends and of course everywhere I went in New York for the following few years I was known as.... Jimmy’s Cousin!”

‘WAXWINGS’ The Album will be released 17th May 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment