Tuesday, June 13, 2017

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of





Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so check out our picks below.



Have I mentioned how much I love Royal Blood? Because I really love Royal Blood. Yes this video is incredibly basic in how much it does nothing, and I do loathe performance music videos over actual stories. But Royal Blood are so great and I have really missed their music. In all seriousness though this is a good song, however it is not great. Why? Well the song lacks substance. For it's 2:52 duration I'm not sure whether they're repeating the same 5 lines over and over again, or if there's more to the lyrics. The basicness of the video feeds into the songs general repetitive nature which is obviously not good. I still love you Royal Blood, but you're capable of producing far better songs that this.



So this follows in Royal Blood's footsteps of being more of a performance video than a story video, except it doesn't. That sounds confusing right? Well if you're a regular follower of 5 Picks you'll know there's 3 things I require from a music video; scenery, story and good acting. This video obviously fails on the first two, but the acting? Coming up roses. To act with only your eyes and body language to express emotions is difficult enough for actors, but singers? It's a completely foreign language which is why I appreciate this song so much. No it doesn't technically have a story in the visuals of what we're seeing, but it does in terms of the acting matching the lyrics and music pound for pound, and it's excellent. I love it, and has done its job in selling the song considering I'd never heard of the band before pressing play.



This reminds me of 90's Pop/Rock, and as I am a 90's girl who loves anything that reminds her of said 90's in a positive way? I must feature this here. Do I think the drop in the chorus is lazy? Yes. Do I think the lyrics could be better than a basic rhyming couplet? Of course. But this song still sounds awesome and I am totally here for it.



Continuing to nitpick at songs because if I only ever loved them this would be very boring, I like the music in places. However I don't understand whether this is a song or a rant attached to music in an attempt to make it sound good. Now I'm not a fan of basic rhyming couplets, which I have made clear on many occasions. But when you have lyrics that are too long, attached to a note that is too short? It leaves you sounding out of tune with the music, which makes the song sound incredibly rushed and I'm not a fan of that. I've listened to this about 5 times and the music has grown on me with the plays, though sounds rough in places and at one point I thought my computer was crashing because it sounded so horrible. Which is not what music is supposed to do.



I love Our Last Night. Their songs are great lyrically and musically they absolutely rock. I love when Artists instinctively know when to go up in a song and down, instead of completely overwhelming my ears. Could I have done with a better music video? Well yes and no! Having a few fake trees on a white background doesn't count as a story or scenery. But I have honestly yet to hear a song by Our Last Night that I don't like. Which confirms they are awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment