Sunday, December 25, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Christmas Special





A few reasons why I like this time of year; you get to eat as much junk as you like with the argument you're just in the holiday spirit, there's the possibility of snow & who doesn't love snow, cool presents and of course Christmas songs. They're what get you into the Holiday spirit, erasing your Halloween blues & make you feel so happy to get the Christmas tree out and welcome another year. Now there's only one Christmas song that I really love. It's just one that gets me. It has indeed made these picks, as have quite a few others that are popular (although why you need any other song is beyond me).



The Artist: Aled Jones
The Song: Walking In The Air

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
I know there's an official video for this song but come on! Everyone knows this song from 'The Snowman' movie. Every time December came round at school this movie would be dragged out of the vault, to continually amuse us easy going 90's kids (That's right! We didn't need fancy technology just a movie about a snowman). Over the years I have grown to like the various alternative versions of this song just like 'Jingle Bells' because they're extremely amusing, and if you can't turn classic songs into filth then what is the point in the Holidays?





The Artist: The Pogues ft Kirsty MacColl
The Song: Fairytales of New York

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
I think it's pretty much illegal to celebrate Christmas without either coming across this song, or singing along with all your belt even if you have no idea what you're singing. It's a weird song to be a Christmas classic. The lyrics aren't exactly full of festive cheer with a bit of an insulting back & forth going on until the conclusion. The video's quite depressing. Yet we all love it. Magic of the holidays!





The Artist: Bing Crosby
The Song: It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This song is I guess one of the more heartwarming Christmas songs? It's definitely lyrically & musically one of the most Christmas themed songs I'm featuring here. One of those you know all the words to even if you don't actually like the song, because you've heard it way too many times & makes you feel all soft inside even if you won't admit it as you have to act all cool like you don't care. Oh, just me?





The Artist: Andy Williams
The Song: It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts: Stepping off my Grinch podium I'll admit I do actually like this song. It's upbeat, festive and does actually get me in the Christmas mood. I will sing and dance along to this song & enjoy it because how can you not? It's also what I'd say is more of a well known Christmas classic than some other picks here that you could say are just well known because of how overplayed they are (Seriously Christmas has been going on for how long & you still gotta play the top 50 from 130 years ago every year). So yes, this gets my thumbs up.





The Artist: Slade
The Song: Merry Christmas Everybody

CONTROLRadioUK Thoughts:
This is it. The holy grail of Christmas songs. The one that should basically be it and ride all other Christmas songs into extinction. I have loved this song since the first moment I heard it & it has been my song ever since. It's one that just gets me. There are several different videos to go with this song but this is the best one to me & also the version I think is always played on the music channels. Slade aren't taking themselves seriously. Everyone's dancing & singing along and of course the drummer goes a bit off key at the end cause why not?? I love this song just as much lyrically as I do musically because yes! I know it's Christmas so no-one's really focussing & I shouldn't be that deep, but these lyrics do actually have a good story to them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment