Monday, December 26, 2016

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of





Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so heck out our picks below.



Happy Boxing Day everyone and welcome to our last 5 Picks of 2016 (I know this year's gone by way too fast) This is another beauty I found courtesy of watching the TV for an hour on a Wednesday night (that's right people! You can still learn stuff from TV) & I featured another track by Bishop Briggs a little while ago called 'Wild Horses' and do remember saying at the time I was intrigued to hear more from her. Well it's as if Santa was listening & decided to give me an early Xmas present (Yes I'm aware it's Boxing Day but I came across this 2 weeks ago) I will admit the video doesn't do much for me (In fact it doesn't do anything & I prefer playing this without watching) but this song is fantastic. It's another of my favourite slow burners, because you don't always need a song to attack you from the off. No! Sometimes you need it to grow gradually & hit you ever so perfectly in the chorus which this does ever so perfectly. I've now had the chance to go through Bishop Brigg's songs and they are indeed great ('Dead Man's Arm', 'Be Your Love' are my favourites along with this. Her debut EP 'Bishop Briggs' was released at the end of last month & I strongly advise a listen.



These guys only just missed out on my 'New Artists Of The Year' feature (which you can read all this week covering 5 different Artists each day) by the count of the fact I could only choose 5. I stumbled upon 'Cry Baby' a little while back & it is not something i've regretted. Fickle Friends music has a really nice 80's funk music vibe about it which I think is matched by the retro style of their videos. I'd apologise for sleeping on yet another song, but it's honestly been a great 'welcome back to 60% good health present'. So yes I knew this song was featuring here after seeing it on TV, whilst others at CONTROLRadioUK HQ are here for the 80's beat & dancing. I'd again advise a listen through back catalogue because they do make some pretty sweet music. For a quick remind Fickle Friends are an Indie/Pop group from Brighton.



Ok so there was big debate at CONTROLRadioUK HQ over whether to feature this song. I was massively outvoted over the fact everyone except me thinks this song is boring, which I think is extremely harsh. I'm featuring it here because I think the lyrics & story of the video resonate with a lot of people. Yes it is great to have videos with a happy LGBT ending & I will always do my best to find & praise them. Occasionally though you need that heartache because that's the way life is regardless of your preferences; you will fall for someone & for whatever reason it won't work out. You'll be devastated, feel as though the world's ended & be eating ice cream by the bucket load for a month at minimum. Eventually that hurt will ease, you'll realise why it didn't work & you'll move on to happiness. This song & video only covers part of that but it is still an important part. I've said it before but it does bear repeating here; sometimes the best way to do a song is just to let the lyrics speak for themselves. Yes having 500 instruments, backing choir & vocals to knock out the park can sometimes be effective, but sometimes it can over-power the songs message. So yes! I will enjoy this song. Dodie's debut EP 'Intertwined' is available now.



This is another song the rest of CONTROLRadioUK HQ don't get & one I've been waiting to feature for the last 2 weeks so dang flabbit! I'm having my moment. I've previously commented on the fact The Last Shadow Puppets aren't my usual type of music, so I'm very surprised that I'm actually digging them. Yes it helps when the videos are so fun but you also need great music & lyrics to back that up which they do. This has got a psychedelic edge to it which I like as well. I'm not a full on converter, but I probably won't be turning the channel over anytime soon when one of their songs play, which I consider progress.



Some songs you come across & you just click with them even if you don't understand why. This is how I've felt about this song ever since I came across it on Wednesday. The rest of CONTROLRadioUK HQ agrees that this song is ok, but it isn't as strong as some would like. It's absolutely perfect for me since it's light-hearted with a video to match. Like seriously a video set in a bed with a cover over should not work, but it does. I to have had the various occasions of travelling through my bed & coming across different objects that'd been presumed lost forever. Clean Cut Kid are a band from Liverpool & I'm very intrigued to hear more from them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment