Monday, March 27, 2017

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of





Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so check out our picks below.



Kicking off this weeks delayed 5 Picks (Although not as bad as Nielsen) This delightful song from Hey Violet. Although it's not as catchy or infectious as 'Guys My Age' or 'Brand New Moves' it is still a decent enough song. The lyrics have a good enough story to not make them completely redundant, but the issue here is the music. It doesn't really go anywhere and I'm beyond tired of every song featuring that same old EDM beat breakdown. It makes every song that follows sound generic and boring, which is not what I want from music.



At first glance I thought this was a Sia song and even now after multiple listens, parts of this song sound like Sia is singing on it. The beat doesn't overly grab or do anything to separate this song from a crowd and the lyrics are very generic with no real story to them. If this song wasn't a collab of Charli XCX & MØ this wouldn't be featuring here. But it is and even though I hate the trend of putting the feature artist after the song title (Main Artist ft Feature Artist - Song Name was much less confusing), and I can't tell who is singing what part, I enjoy Charli XCX and MØ's music in its own right enough to appreciate this collaboration. Not that you don't know this already but Charli XCX is an English singer/songwriter and the Mix-Tape 'Number 1 Angel' is out now.



I wasn't at all impressed with 'Love Is Mystical' as song wise it didn't go anywhere and visually the video was surprisingly worse. 'Can We Hang On' though? My kind of tune. I like the story of the lyrics, the music actually goes somewhere in the build-up, though the video is still a bit of a let down. However when you have a song that sounds this go the video's immaterial. Cold War Kids are an American Indie/Rock band (And I seriously hate that 'Indie' has become its own sub-genre now) and the album 'LA Divine' is out on the 7th April, but you can pre-order now and get 'Love Is Mystical' and 'Can We Hang On'. I probably won't be one of the people taking up that option.



I wanted to feature this last week but as is sometimes the case! Too many songs to fit into 5 slots. From the video thumbnail alone, you should know you're in for a ride here. Usually having a music video set in a grocery store of all places doesn't work, but this is just so fun and matches the music perfectly. The lyrics on the other hand whilst good don't exactly fit with the tone, so it does feel like a bit of a mismatch but you'll probably be too busy dancing away to care. DREAMERS are an American rock trio and 'This Album Does Not Exist' is available now, which you should probably give a listen to just for the title.



Saving the best until last this week. Like come on! I may be getting cynical in my young age but this is a brand new Steps song! Their first new release since I was the tender age of 11 (We never speak of that Christmas album) Usually on a day off from College I have a well deserved lie-in but last Thursday? I was up nice and early to make sure I didn't miss the first listen of this song on Radio 2. I never listen to Radio 2! I didn't even know it was a thing! This song has now been on repeat since its midnight release and it is absolutely fantastic. I feel everyone hit the nail on the head when they said 'Scared Of The Dark' sounds like a modern day Steps song. I'd even go as far to say it sounds better than most chart offerings these days, because it sounds original. No generic lyrics, no repetitive EDM beats & basically the same sound over again. Just Steps being their previous awesome selves. 'Tears On The Dancefloor' is out on the 21st April but you can pre-order it now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment