Saturday, October 21, 2017

CONTROLRadioUK Picks 5 Songs You May Not Have Heard Of





Here at CONTROLRadioUK we're always on the look-out for music be it for the playlist, or just because we think the tracks are pretty neat so check out our picks below.



OK I have no idea what this video is trying to say. Is her boyfriend or husband abusive? Has he cheated? Has she just randomly decided to pack her things and start over fresh? What on earth does the ending mean? Considering music videos are supposed to sell the song to the audience, it's not very good when they leave you confused. Fortunately the song in itself is simple enough, even if it could do more with itself. The lyrics could be stronger along with the music, which seems like it wants to go somewhere but holds back. I'm guessing that's just what happens when Country music dips into the Pop stream. Lady Antebbelum are a good enough band, but there is a reason I don't come across their music very often.



I don't get to feature her music here nearly enough as I'd like to, but I do like BANKS. Some of her songs can be quite deep, others pure fluff, but she always knows what she's doing with herself and that makes her music just that bit more powerful. Once again we have a song tackling relationship issues, this time with a lover who has left but for a reason. She's still rooting for him to come back and for the realtionship to have a happy ending. Whether coming back would be good or bad is down to our own interpretation, which I really love about music. Deliver a story with the lyrics, but leave the ending to your listeners.



No your eyes are not deceiving you. This is indeed a HAIM song being featured in the 5 Picks, and without me having to be coerced. Yes, we've actually found a HAIM song that I like. Honestly I never thought this day would come. This song is pure fluff with a nice fluffy video to accompany it. Pure, unadulterated fun and I love it. This song has been stuck in my head all week and after multiple listens I don't hate it yet, which is always a good sign. There is a minute sample at the beginning of the song but I don't even care. That's how much fun this is! I know I've probably used that word one too many a time here, but it's true.



I've featured Phoebe Ryan in these picks a lot. I have no idea where exactly this woman came from, but she makes great music. This song again features a minor sample, although unlike HAIM, the sample runs throughout the song here giving it a nice 60's vibe. Again covering the subject of heartbreak (Let's be honest it's a genre that makes up 99.99% of music and I'm not sure what that says about us as humans), this time dealing with the aftermath of a break-up and having no idea why its happened. It's again really honest storytelling, and something that a lot of people will be able to resonate with.



I feel like this might be the most positive 5 Picks I've ever written, because I don't have any major complaints with any of the songs this week. And even more of a miracle? I actually love this song. That's right! The person who complains that Rachel Platten songs don't go anywhere & she needs to explore a new genre of music to avoid being a one genre wonder, completely loves this song! OK the music could be a bit strong, but I only say that because the Producer in me really loves the beat and would love to get hold of this song as an instrumental. But this song is great. The lyrics are strong and create a coherent narative. The music goes somewhere, and I could happily listen to this song on repeat without getting bored.

0 comments:

Post a Comment